Monday, August 07, 2006

eating out, Vietnamese style

Not every day is brunch at Sheraton : )
I've been trying out some street kitchens as well. Last night we went out for a late dinner and couldn't be bothered to walk very far - so we went down our local "food street". We orded 3x chicken noodle soup, 3 breads and one mixed soup - or so we thought! First a plate of chips arrived - then 2x fried noodles with chicken + one chicken soup (without noodles). My dish never came and eventually I pointed at the black soup with chicken the lady sitting behind me ate and I got my dinner. The soup was delicious although I have no idea what I ate.

Last week we tried another street kitchen close to the embassy. The food was displayed in plates at a counter and loads of people were sitting at little tables. Many people eating at the same place seems to be a good sign of good food. I had some semi-spicy meatballs that tasted amazing (I hope it wasn't dog meat), some rice and some kind of vegetable I've we def don't have in Denmark. When we asked to pay a girl came to the table with a book and wrote 4000. We tried to asked whether 4000 was for each of us or each dish, but she didn't seem to understand - then she wrote another 0 and took the 50.000 bill one of my fellow trainees was holding. We couldn't help feeling a bit stupid as we could see all of the other bills in the book were only 4 digits. Oh well, still dirt cheap :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting blog. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. About the Ha Dong Silk Village, We went there by taxi. You can go there by motorbike, taxi or bus. I don't think I want to spend money on tour for this place because there's not much to see except the peaceful atmostphere and lots of silk shops.
If you make this trip, go to the last lane where all the best shops are and there is one shop whhich looks expensive but they have wide range for you to choose.