Monday, August 28, 2006

"Ahh you doctor"

When I was in Viet Nam in 2003 everyone asked where I was from (as they do now). This is how the conversation would go:

Vietnamese: "Where you from?"
Kath: "Denmark"
V: "Huh?" (looking very confused)
K: "Denmark"
V: "You no look Denmark"
K: "I'm adopted, I came to Denmark when I was a baby"
V: "You parents where from?"
K: "Denmark!"
V: "Huh?"
K: "I'm adopted"
V: "Ahh you doctor!" (smiling)
K: "Yes, yes I'm a dotcor" (sighing)

This time around I can show my little buisesscard from the embassy written in Vietnamese, they'll still look at me shake their heads and go... "ah Denmark?"
Marianne
taught me how to say "Korean" in Vietnamese, and although I can't pronunce it perfectly it's still a much more satisfying answer to most Vietnamese than "Denmark". None of the ones I've met spoke Korean anyways (or at least I don't think they did - I've actually got no idea what Korean sounds like) and with the language barrier it's sometimes easier just to say Korean.

Sometimes they'll speak Vietnamese to me, but they mostly go: Japan? China and even Phillipines...

I actually found it much harder to explain to Westerns that I do not speak Vietnamese, my parents aren't Vietnamese and I don't speak any other Asian language. We were at a bar this weekend and this French guy asked me four times if I was sure I was from Denmark. After the 4th time I turned my back to him. I couldn't be bothered anymore.

I know some (or maybe even most) Westerns have difficulties telling some Asian features apart, and I do admit it can be hard, and I as Asian-looking am probably much more aware of the differences. And as far as I can tell myself, I could probably look Japanese, Southern Chinese and hopefully Korean : )
But the fact is - I'm Danish. Yes, my body's Asian, but my mind and my body language is Danish. I do not mean to give out in this post, I came to Asia, I knew I'd be asked over and over again - and I know people ask out of curiosity, but sometimes it can get really tirering to be questioned about you biological heritage each time you meet a person who doesn't know the term "adoptee" or doesn't want to accept that I'm not Asian of heart and mind.
I haven't been to Korea, I might go some day, but not in the near future. I'm not trying to renounce my Asian roots, I'm merely sharing my every day experiences of being an Asian-adoptee with a Western mind and heart in Vietnam.

PS: They adoption agency I was adopted through doesn't adopted from South Korea any more - they've become too wealthy, but Vietnam is actually one of the biggest countries where Danish couples adopt from now.

3 comments:

Casper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Casper said...

Ok I try again thought I made only a preview.. Hey katherine I can sort of understand where you are coming from. I have not traveled that much, but I do remember when visiting India, people often asked were I came from concidering the huge variety between the people and the language in that country, and when I said Denmark they just looked at me clueless. In the end I just got tired of it and said hey I am from Tamil Nadu, and they just accepted that answer more so than me being from Denmark.

Unknown said...

Hej Katrine,
Nu ved jeg ikke om du kommer til at se dette, da jeg kan se, at det er et stykke tid siden, du har oprettet bloggen. Men jeg skriver nu alligevel lidt.
Super blog. Jeg støtte lige på den da jeg søgte om blogs fra vietnam. Meget inspirerende. Jeg rejser selv til Vietnam her i slutningen af juli, hvor jeg skal være i praktik. Jeg er også selv koreansk adopteret, og det, at du også er det, har kun gjort det mere interessant, at læse din blog. Alt det du har oplevet med at være dansk-koreaner i Vietnam, er kun noget, jeg har gjort mig tanker om. Det har været rart at læse om dine erfaringer. Der har været en masse spørgsmål og er det stadig, men at læse din blog har sat tingene lidt mere i perspektiv. Jeg er glad for, at jeg fandt din blog :-)
Jeg laver selv en blog mens, jeg er dernede, så hvis du har lyst til at tjekke den ud, kan du sende mig en mail, og jeg giver dig adressen. Min mail er najask@hotmail.com

Mange varme sommer hilsner,

Naja.