Friday, June 09, 2006

This is what I'm leaving

Thought I'd post some pics so you can get an impression of what I'm leaving. Denmark at is best (or worst).

This picture is from my campus. The university is build around a little lake. My faculty is on top of the lake on the right hand (but you can't see it in the picture)
It was taking this winter, it was actually March. Spring had a really hard time pushing winter away this year.
I reckon it was about -5 degrees c that day. The winter in Denmark is long and cold and some times it can be rather depressing, but somehow you make it through to spring each year.
Though far up north Denmark has 4 seasons: freezing winter where it gets dark before you've eaten dinner. Spring with lots of showers and green colours everywhere. Hot summers where the smoke from bbq's start in every back yard around 6 pm and stormy autumn with leaves in every red, brown yellowish nuance you can imagine. Denmark has it all.

This is the view down the street from my flat. I took this picture last week. The buildings in my street are around 100-120 years old. It's a rather quiet one way street in the city centre. It takes me 5 minutes to bike up the hill to uni - and 2 minutes down hill to the city centre. Perfect location!
Housing prices have increased by 200% during the last 2 years. It's rather fucked up to be honest. You'll get 1 one bedroom flat (50m2 if you're lucky) for 1,8 million Danish Kroner - that's $300.000. The sky high prices have made as good as impossible for first time buyers to enter the market.

This pic is from my parents back yard taken a few days ago. The dog with the ball in its mouth is mine : )
I tried to make her pose, but she didn't really want to and ran away to play with the ball seconds after this pic was taken.
Summer has finally come to Denmark and temperatures are around 25 degrees c. In a few weeks the sea will reach a high enough temperature for a wee dip and the beaches will be stuffed with people enjoying their summer holidays trying to get a tan.
Mine starts next week and I can't wait!
And since my bach-thesis won't write itself I best get back to it : )

No comments: