Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Multi-lingual?

While in London I bought a Vietnamese phrasebook. It seems like a really difficult language to pronounce and even though I don't consider myself a quitter I already feel like learing Vietnamse most be nearly impossible to a westerner.

I think of myself as multi-lingual as I'm fluent in Danish (of course) and English, speak German, can mangage in Swedish, tourist wise in French and understand Norwegian and a wee bit Spanish, but these languages descent from similar lines. Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, German and English are Germanic languages (though English and German are West Germanic and the Scandinavian languages are North Germanic) and they are related to the latin descenting languages French and Spanish. So even though they're distant relatives they are still relatives.
Vietnamese however is from the Mon-Kmher language family which is no way near familiar to the languages I know...

I'm not sure what my ambition is. Maybe to be able to order food at a street stall and making myself a understandable at a market. I know I can't possibly learn Vietnamese in half a year and since I'll be living with other Danes and the embassy's working languages are Danish and English I don't have to be able to communicate in Vietnamse, but I'd like to be able to anyways.
Anyhooo - it'll def be a challenge!

No comments: