Sunday, September 10, 2006

Feeling chilly?

Who would have thought 27 degrees C would feel like a chilly spring day in Denmark?! Last week the temperature hit 40 c and the humidity was still about 60% and I thought I was about to die when walking out at West Lake. A/C was my best friend!
This Saturday the weather changed. I was going shopping and took a xe om and believe you me - I was freezing. The rain drizzled on me as the moto took me through the crowded streets of Hanoi and all I could think about was how I wished I'd brought a cardigan (+ please don't let me die in a moto-crash in Hanoi)!
The other day our maid try to explain us how cooold it gets in December, 15 c mind you she (sort of) said rapping her arms around herself to emphasize the coooold Hanoi winter weather.
"Ha ha" I thought to myself. I'm from Denmark - we go down to minus 10 c and with a cold wind it easily feels like minus 15. But somehow my body most have adapted to the weather. At home as soon as the termometer hits 22 c I'm in the garden wearing sunglasses and a bikini, but suddenly 27 c is cold to me! Oh God, I'm dreading the Hanoi winter...

1 comment:

OMIH said...

It gets cold. The humidity remains so the cold really gets into your bones. Plus houses here are designed to be cool. Usually indoors is colder than outside.

The first year I was here it went down to seven degrees. I'm a Brit, so like you I thought, no problem but it does feel really cold. But it's great to get your energy back after the summer. You have to keep moving to keep warm.

Don't think we've hit autumn yet, I reckon there is almost a month left of pretty hot weather then it cools and freshens. Austumn is fantastic. It's usually pretty much fine till around Christmas day then it starts to get really cold and by Tet you get the wet, nasty, damp weather.

Personally, for me, it all beats the heat. I love Hanoi winters.