Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A little fat?

My tailor's reaction when she saw me after nearly two years away was:
"Very long time - you big now!"

I went to visit my "old" maid and she sad: "Maybe, you a little fat now" and gave me her biggest smile.

Yes, I have gained weight since I left Vietnam, granted - am I fat? Well, no not excatly.

But here, being fat is a sign of wealth. Being fat means having enough money to fill you stomach every night. Being fat is a compliment. I knew that, but nonetheless it was a tiny bit difficult not to be a little bit offended as I am raised in a culture where being told you're fat is certainly not a compliment. Furthermore, I doubt any person with a bit of sense in their mind would said it that frankly, should someone they knew years ago have gained a bit of weight.

But that's Vietnam and within a split second I smiled back and said: "Yes, I'm a little fat now"

1 comment:

cafengocmy said...

I have never been north. If I can go back again I would like to see Ha Noi.