Monday, January 01, 2007

Speed wedding

A couple of weeks ago I went to my first Viet-wedding. It was one of my co-workers who was gettig married and I'd asked her a ton of questions regarding the wedding, so I was pretty excited to go even though my other co-workers warned me that Vietnamese weddings were not fun at all.


Well, it was def rather different from a Danish wedding. The bride and the grooms' guests sat in two differenct sections of the room, I counted somewhat 400 seats so it was quite a big wedding.

While people were eating the ceremony with the rings being exchange took place and some family members gave a perfomance. After that the happy couple went around greeting the tables, everyone ate and chatted and around 45 minutes after arrival the first table of 20 people got up and left. I stayed approx 1½ hour and our table was one of the last to leave!


So no, my first Vietnamese wedding couldn't excatly be described as "fun", but I still thought it was fun to see how everything went about.

1 comment:

Performing Monkey said...

Sounds like you had an interesting time!

I got invited to a wedding banquet in the street in Hanoi the last time I was there in 2005.

The guests offered me cigarettes and gave me some betal nut to chew on, which made me sweat quite unattractively and turned my mouth orange!

Lots of people seemed to be enjoying themselves apart from the bride who had a face like a wet weekend.

An experience.